Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Zuccotti Park Protests

Please post your impressions or observations in the comment section.




13 comments:

  1. I overheard someone from our group say that they found the protests to be disappointing or less-than-expected. And it was less crowded and had fewer interesting signs or opportunities for interaction with people there than before ... it turns out some of the protesters had traveled uptown to Tiffany's for an "Austerity Breakfast at Tiffany's" (check out the news tonight). Some had apparently already left the park at Mayor Bloomberg's request, so the park could be cleaned up. Anyway, your reactions and questions are still encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, personally, am glad we were able to visit the initial site of Occupy Wall Street, because it allowed for a first-hand experience at one of the most important events in current news. I was amazed at how dedicated these people were to prove their point so much as to camp out at a park using minimal resources; I noticed that there was a cart specifically for cleaning supplies, and it mostly contained only wet wipes and hand sanitizer. Also, I wondered: Were their temporary camps comprised mainly of cardboard tied together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The majority of the protestors for some reason all had heavy facial hair and smelled as if they haven't showered for days. This was my first live protest I have ever seen and it was not what I was expecting at all. The protestors seemed like they weren't really caring all that much of what they were standing for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened to be one of those people who saw the protests as less then impressive. Aside from the number of people there, i simply didnt expect what we saw. Based on the people there, id say that not even half of them knew why they were even there. One of the first things I saw was a group of people standing around some weird sculpture with candles everywhere holding there arms up in the air and chanting or something. Really? These are the people who are trying to make public political statements?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Swirbul, as if now, they arent cleaning the park. The cleaning has been delayed by the mayor until further notice. That was on NY1 this morning. Although the protest wasnt much, I enjoyed seeing it because we watched history being made, and people revolting. It was interesting seeing the way they lived; selling used materials, making and living in homes made up of cardboard boxes. It was good to see it for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whether the protests result in change or even if some people there were not focused, I was struck by the Zucotti Park "occupation" as an example of something special that we sometimes take for granted in the US - the right to peacefully assemble and free speech. So far, my understanding is that protest has been mostly without violence (with an exception in late September).

    I found the contrast of the Occupy Wall Street movement today with the presentation about the British firing grapeshot from cannons into protesters on Bowling Green particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also felt the protest was not what I expected it to be; I didn't think there would be so many people camping out. I also agree that I don't see how people chanting in a circle together is helping anyone. I expected to see more of business people protesting, not homeless people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While the people there were determined, I'm not exactly sure what they were determined to *do*. Even if their resolve remains to be impressive, I doubt much will be accomplished as long as they lack unification and a message other than "We're angry!" However, I certainly don't agree with this 53-percent nonsense going on either; they're so self righteous!

    http://www.wnyc.org/articles/its-free-country/2011/oct/14/53-percent-take-99-percent/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree with Lauren. From what I can see this protest is a bunch of different groups wanting different things. In reality there is no way that the government will be able to satisfy the needs of all these groups. In order for this protest to work they are going to need to collaborate and find one thing to fight for rather than 10. I also believe that in order for this protest to become a movement they are going to need a leader who is strong enough to unite them. At the moment it seems like a bunch of people are getting arrested and its to no avail. In order for this protest to become a movement they are going to need to become much larger and spread the word across the country. The really interesting thing is that the protest has showed up in many major cities across the country. I do believe that the 53% group is self righteous like Lauren. Everyone comes from different backgrounds, and it is selfish of them to only think about themselves. In conclusion this is unique because I have never really seen such a powerful protest in my lifetime. Does anybody think this protest could become a movement very similar to the the one in Egypt?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed visiting the site and seeing what was going on with the protestors. I really wanted to see how people were living and protesting together. It seemed to me that people were very unified and standing firm. However, people really need to decide on exactly what they are protesting for and against. But I like the fact that people are peaceful and do not resort to violence as much as I expected they would.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe the protest has already been going for a month! These people have such dedication and are handling the situation much more calmly then I would expect. I really liked how when the protesters started to clean the park together and marched around with the different cleaning supplies showing unity and team work. I thought that was very touching. I also find it pretty remarkable how some have been sleeping there this whole time. It is really cool to see such a big protest going on in my time period. I also agree with Luke that there needs to be a central leader and need to have a main focus of what they want to be achieved. It seems like everything is still kind of all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A leader with a unifying message may emerge from within the protest, yet democracy moves slowly, and the grassroots nature of the movement is its greatest strength, I believe. Luke, I'm not sure it will become another Tahrir Square, since there is no single "villain" or target (like Mubarak) for people to rally against. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.