Wednesday, October 12, 2011

9-11 Memorial






Post your reflections or responses in the comment section.

16 comments:

  1. This post - and Zucotti Park, too - invites a broad range of responses. Maybe it was an aspect of the memorial, maybe a personal reflection on 9-11 itself, or ....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fountains were so massive but calming. the center hole seemed like the it was an abyss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt like that the memorial was very overwhelming. To think that this was the place where people were forced to jump from the buildings due to the extreme heat was frightening. I also found it interesting how there were so many little kids at the memorial. I was wondering if they really knew why there were there, or rather if there school just thought it would be a good experience for them. It is also interesting to notice that our class is probably the last class that experienced the attacks personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also thought the memorial was a little over whelming but I thought it was sad seeing the names inscribed on the fountain. It was sad because it reminded you how many people there were who were affected by the attack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really liked the 911 memorial because i still remember the attack vividly and how severe it was. It was cool how we got to see what the memorial looked like especially with all the names of the deaths and how amazing it turned out. Seeing the little kids in a school group made me think how special it was to be apart of the experience of the attack and wondering what the children were thinking. Even though it was depressing to see how many people either died or knew someone who died, it was worth seeing all the beauty it became.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if it was just me, but the pools located in place of the towers' foundations were amazing; while they are an amazing dedication to those lost ones from the 9/11 attacks, the design of these pools left me in awe; it adds to the tranquil setting of the entire memorial. Overall, I think this memorial is a perfect place to just sit down and think in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that the size of the pools were metaphoric to the gargantuan size of the two towers. Also, I really thought that the enormous splashing of water in the two pools gave a sense of peace and clarity within the memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the pools were very symbolic of the towers and a great memorial to the people lost. I found the deep hole in the middle of the pool really interesting. It made me think that the water falling showed the people lost into the unknown. It was also very eye opening to see the actual names around the pools.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was amazing how many small children were there. Kids who weren't even alive when the towers fell. What were they thinking while walking around that memorial? Maybe sort of how we feel when seeing a vietnam memorial. But when youre observing something that actually effected you, it touches you differently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed seeing the 9/11 memorial because it is a part of history that our generation was a part of. I was a little shocked at the minimal police presence inside the memorial itself. The fountains were very symbolic because of their massive size and the never-ending feeling you get when looking at them

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree w/Brooklyn Bridge (Jackie H) and Cole about the effect of the water flowing into the black holes: people lost into the void or abyss. Some of you mentioned the calming or peaceful effect, and I thought the sounds of the waterfalls added to this effect, since they drowned out all the sounds of everyday life in the city (not an easy thing to do!). You could close your eyes and feel a million miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought that the 911 memorial was very symbolic because the freedom towers would represent the unity, strength, and determination of the American people. The destruction of the World Trade Center would not keep the American people from getting back on track, and continuing progress. As a strong and independent nation, we are able to show the world that nothing can bring our efforts down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. About the memorial, the designer Michael Arad hoped for it to be "stoic, defiant and compassionate." A critic wrote that it "has a solemness, a simplicity, and an otherness which is absolutely perfect."

    Any thoughts on either (or both) of these comments?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The memorial was probably my favorite part of the tour, seeing as I hadn't yet seen it and was anxious to finally visit. I agree that it had a severe sense of "otherness"; despite the construction and many people, it felt as if the memorial grounds were very separate and removed from the rest of the city. However, I think such a feeling is fitting. Additionally, the simplicity was a nice touch. The designer did an excellent job of not overcompensating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The memorial was probably what I was looking forward to the most, and my mom promises me that she will take me there! It seems very calming, and I did not realize how big each fountain is. I also did not now that there was a design contest for the memorial. I found it very interesting how long and difficult the process was and how stubborn Michael Arad was with sticking to his design. One of my favorite parts of the memorial is the names of all of those who died. I feel that it makes it that much more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The memorial once again reminds us of those innocent civilians who died in september 11 attack. Its sad to think about families who lost their parents and children even without knowing that they were going to die that day. RIP

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.