·
He was born in the West Indies and came to America, and went to Kings College
in New York
·
He was a captain and soldier during the
Revolutionary war and fought numerous battles under George Washington’s rule
where he fought against the whiskey rebellion and the farmers tax revolt. Most of the battles he fought against the British during the evolution took place in New York City.
·
He was elected Continental Congress from New
York and one of the delegates who wrote out the new constitution in 1787. He was
one of the founding fathers and one of the founders of the Bank of New York.
·
Hamilton was also one of the three people who wrote the Federalist Papers along with James Madison. He spoke for New York while ratifying the
constitution.
·
He was given role of Secretary of the Treasury
when George Washington became president where he acted as a nationalist. He strongly believed in central government and
believed in using the constitution's powers.


Somewhere it is written that Hamilton is the quintessential New Yorker: poor immigrant who makes good, rises up in society through ambition and hard work, and sees a future based on commerce and manufacturing (not farming). given the man's remarkable accomplishments, his tombstone seems rather modest, especially when compared to Jefferson's memorial in Washington, DC. (Jefferson and Hamilton were arch-rivals, as you will soon learn.)
ReplyDeleteThis guy inspires me. Even if I run for president and don't get elected I can still make it on some form of currency.
ReplyDeleteI think that it was cool that we got to see Alexander Hamilton's grave because he is a special man, who is in fact on the 10 dollar bill and was one of the founding fathers.
ReplyDeleteI think Hamilton is a great man since he shows that a man who comes from nothing can become someone. This would have never happened if Hamilton went anywhere other than America.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't believe that such an important person in our countries history was buried in a very open and public cemetery, it humanized him to me. Also the fact that his tomb wasn't in mint condition and guarded off.
ReplyDeleteAndrew, we could bring back the $2 bill for you ...
ReplyDeleteI thought that even though he's not in the best cemetery, I think it only matters that he was buried in New York city because that's where he's from and where he had the most impact.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was hard to appreciate him considering that I didn't really know anything about him. Im sure once we get to know his significance in the revolution I will appreciate it much more.
ReplyDeleteI really liked the presentation, and I learned a little bit about this great man. I am excited about getting into the Revolution and learning about Hamilton's great deeds and triumphs. Seeing his grave was interesting because I have never visited the greave of a famous person before.
ReplyDeleteI found it to be very interesting when we saw Alexander Hamilton's grave, because it shows a piece of significant history; I don't know why, but graves let me feel closer to the deceased. Also, I found it amazing how his wife lived to be in her 90s, knowing the short life expectancy back then.
ReplyDeleteBrandon and Jacquie, I agree that his tombstone is not so monumental. In fact, when compared to Jefferson's grand memorial in Washington DC, I find it downright disappointing that we as a nation have not done more to remember him. Just wait till you read more about him ...
ReplyDelete